Friday, May 16, 2008

Adding ringtones to a VX9100 (lg enV2)

Verizon, true to its style of nickel and diming its customers for everything, doesn't allow you to set music you transfer to your phone as a ringtone. So you have two choices - 1) buy songs from verizon's music store 2) get a third party to convert the clip into a (very) low quality, proprietary QCP file, for which priviledge you pay a couple of bucks per ringtone.

I opted for the latter option, but found the quality of the QCP file to be horrible. After a little haggling with the tech support folks at this third party, however, they told me the big secret: Just send an email to your-number@vzwpix.com - what's in the text doesn't much matter, just attach an audio file your phone can play (mp3 or wav works fine on the VX9100) and send it. Include a leading 1 and the area code in your phone number, or else the email will bounce. I'm guessing this works with a bunch of other verizon phones - just beware you'll have to pay for data (hey, that gives me a great idea for a distributed denial of cash attack...)

I had actually tried this, but I sent my message to vtext.com instead, which didn't work - d'oh, that could've saved me a few bucks. It strikes me that, given this one bit of information from this company, I could go into business competing with them - all I lack is a program that can generate QCP files (for other phones) and a few other esoteric formats.

Here are the details for the curious (steps 1 and 2 are just how I clip an audio file and save it as a mp3 - you can use whatever other software you like):
1 - use audacity or the like to trim the file, export as wav
2 - lame foo.wav -h -V 0 ringtone.mp3
3 - send an email to your-number@vzwpix.com, attach ringtone.mp3
4 - on receipt of message, click options -> save as ringtone


2 comments:

Ben said...

Thanks for the help. That was much easier than I thought it was going to be according to other sites.

MoLo said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This totally made my day :)